Policy No. 4020
1.0 BEREAVEMENT LEAVE
- 1.1 Absence caused by the death of members of the immediate families may be construed as health/disability leave. Members of the immediate family include spouse, mother, father, child, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, father-in-law, mother in- law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, grandmother, grandfather, grandmother-in-law, grandfather-in-law, and grandchildren, or one (1) day per year for a close personal friend.
- 1. 1.1.1 Provisional educators may take one bereavement day per year without dock. It shall not count as a personal or sick day.
- 1.2 An educator may be absent up to three days at the death of an immediate family member without loss of salary. In instances where extenuating circumstances warrant additional time off, the principal may recommend to the superintendent additional consideration which may be granted.
- 1.3 Two additional days at the cost of $45 per day may be granted upon approval of the principal or other supervisor for absence caused by the death of spouse, child or parent.
- 1.4 Absence for bereavement covers only the immediate family, and absence for bereavement of others, unless cleared in advance with the superintendent by the principal, must be taken as personal leave.
- 1.4.1 In the event that bereavement leave is needed for other legitimate reasons not covered above, requests should be made in writing directly to the superintendent.
- 1.5 Bereavement leave may be taken at anytime during the school year, including the first and last weeks of school, and before and after Christmas break.
Negotiated Revision: October 14, 1986
Negotiated Revision: September 8, 1993
Negotiated Revision: June 19, 2001
Negotiated Revision: June 12, 2007
Negotiated Revision: May 20, 2008
Negotiated Revision: May 18, 2010
Negotiated Revision: May 24, 2011
Negotiated Revision: May 21, 2013
Negotiated Revision: May 6, 2014