Policy No. 7200 - STUDENT DATA PRIVACY
1.0 Student Data Privacy Statement
- 1.1 Student data privacy is very important to Alpine School District (the district). Students and their parents/guardians retain ownership of student data. The district will take appropriate measures to ensure student data remains protected.
2.0 In order to protect student's data, Alpine School District will:
- 2.1 Maintain a Data Governance Plan which details district practice related to student data privacy. The Data Governance Plan will be reviewed regularly and amended to remain complaint to state and federal laws and district policies. The DGP will be reviewed annually by the Board of Education.
- 2.2 Appoint a Student Data Manager and create rules and requirements associated with this position.
- 2.3 Comply with FERPA and Utah's Student Data Privacy Act.
- 2.4 Prepare and distribute annually a Student Data Disclosure statement to parents and students throughout the district.
- 2.5 Disclose in the Data Governance Plan how the district collects, maintains, uses, stores, shares and deletes student data.
- 2.6 Maintain a process for sharing student data with third parties for educational purposes as outlined in the Data Governance Plan and annual disclosure.
- 2.7 Maintain a metadata dictionary outlining student data collected and how it is used.
- 2.8 Establish a review process to ensure the security of student data when it is requested for research and evaluation purposes.
- 2.9 Notify parents/guardians of any data security breach according to the data breach provisions detailed in the Data Governance Plan.
Board Approved: June 20, 2017